[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot -> young trad. players

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Feb 21 16:18:03 PST 2011

Misrad HaJazz WROTE IN PART:

> This subject of "stereotypical Dixieland" dress comes up now and then on
> DJML, and I must chime in. I don't know why players of the world's most fun
> and colorful music would object to wearing colorful and fun outfits or
> costumes when performing. Doesn't have to be straw hats and red vests. As I
> always say, there is more to performing than just playing good music.
> Presentation matters, at least if you want to work and get paid for it.
>
> I have always insisted that my band wears band outfits whenever we perform.
> We started out playing on the street. It's hot here a lot of the year, and
> some guys objected to wearing vests and hats. I showed them a picture of us
> playing in "comfortable" street clothes and another with us playing in
> uniform. I asked them, "Which of these bands you would hire to play for your
> wedding?" Since then we play in costume without the arguments. We did a big
> gig in a parade last fall in Jerusalem, and it was hot. We wore vests, bow
> ties and marching band hats with red feather plumes. I told them, "You are
> getting paid to be hot. If you want to be cool, you can do it for free on
> your own time."
>
> Now the Jerusalem Municipality, who hired us for the parade, was so happy
> that they want us back for the Jerusalem Marathon -- a huge public gig and
> media event -- next month, with the vests and marching hats and feathers.
> We're getting paid for these gigs for half a day or an evening what some
> people make here in a week. With Liberace, I cry all the way to the bank.
(SNIP)

Unfortunately, here in the States wearing garb such as striped shirts, vests, straw hats, etc makes people think "Old people."  And in this country, old people are not revered or respected as they are in other cultures.

Back in the 50s, 60s & 70s when the pizza parlors were going strong, the "Gay Nineties" or "Roaring Twenties" costumes were cool. . . . But not any more.

With my band, we always wear dress shirts, ties, coats because we want to look like professionals.  What did you see Louis Armstrong and Turk Murphy wearing when they performed?

However, contrary to some people's opinions here on the DJML, when required, we will wear whatever our client wants us to wear.  Sometimes its tuxes and sometimes its "Roaring Twenties" costumes.

If we are hired to play for a "Roaring Twenties, Depression era party, we'll wear what fits the party, just as actors wear what is required for the part they are playing.  If we are playing a 1920's era band at a 1920 era party, we'll wear 1920 era clothes.

Makes sense to me...

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band