[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot -> young trad. players

dj outrage djoutrage at freeukisp.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 13:12:36 PST 2011

Marek Boym wrote:
> of words when he wrote:
>>
>> "... For some reason, various "hot jazz ensembles" in the UK ... often
>> dress
>> that way, but their music is, in general, excellent."
>>
>> What's the matter with "AND their music is excellent"? That little word
>> 'but' implies that there is something inherent in the costume that
>> precludes
>> the possibility of the band playing well. It suggests a latent prejudice
>
> Come on, Larry!
> You know my letter was in reply to someone else's who suggested that
> bands dressed that way played "multi-theme tunes, too fasta and with
> no feeling whatsoever!"
> Cheers (or is saying "cheers" too late AFTER having some excellent
> Israeli strong beer?)
>

>> against the outfits worn by those bands. If clothes make the man, then
>> maybe
>> uniforms make the band. OK, it's no substitute for playing well, but
>> playing
>> the music is only part of the job of entertainment.
>>
>> My 2 shekels' worth.
>>
>> Elazar
>> Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
>> Jerusalem, Israel
>> www.doctorjazz.co.il
>> +972-2-679-2537
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +972-2-679-2537      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Just writing to assure you all that traditional/classic jazz is alive and
well with my acasional bands, even though we only play out very
acasionally.

When at university, people often comment on my gramaphone that sits on my
desk, so i play a record on it, and most of my 78s are classic jazz. They
always enjoy the music, although a couple of people told me it sounds like
tom and jerry.
it's my 21st birthday in march, i wonder if the dj will play any trad jazz
LOL
infact, i hope they don't get me a bloomin dj...
chears,
rob.