[Dixielandjazz] Stiring the pot

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Feb 21 13:13:17 PST 2011

I have been sort of amused at the opinions about what to wear.  This has
been going on for several years ever since a couple of ( Well One ) guy(s)
pronounced vests un cool.

For me vests are cheap enough that you can buy an extra half dozen for the
extra side guys.  The band guys then don't have to foot the bill for a sport
jacket or whatever which invariably goes out of style or you hire another
guy and he doesn't have one and you can't get that color and cut anymore.

If a band has been together and doesn't change musicians and it's more or
less a co op band then wear whatever floats your boat.  I find jackets to be
too hot to wear so much of the time that I'm uncomfortable.

Last evening I sat in with a fine Dixie band at a friend's birthday party
who is also a wonderful trumpet player and big band leader.  Since it was
informal everyone wore dress shirts and no coats except for the leader who
wore a vest.  It was the You Can't Beat Experience Jazz Band - Bud Schultz
is the leader.  These guys cook and there's no getting around it.  If you
are good  and dress appropriately for the gig then the outfit doesn't matter
much.  If you are bad I don't care how cool you dress.  If it had been a
corporate party or reception rather than a bunch of musicians then I'm sure
they would have dressed differently for the occasion.

Fun guys should wear fun cloths.
Larry
St. Louis