[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Morton Program on BBC (Bert Thompson)

Dradjazz at aol.com Dradjazz at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 13:11:26 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/21/11 12:20:03 PM,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Some fellow listees might be interested in the following program that was
> broadcast yesterday on BBC 3: "The end of October 2010 saw the 120th
> anniversary of the birth of one of the most colourful and lively figures in jazz
> - Jelly Roll Morton. So to commemorate that anniversary, Alyn Shipton
> explores some of the musical legacies of the self-proclaimed inventor of jazz.
> Alyn Shipton looks at some of Morton's forerunners (including Louis Moreau
> Gottschalk and Scott Joplin) with help from the pianist Philip Martin, and
> at Morton's own musical style - with comment from one of the world's
> foremost authorites on classic jazz and ragtime - Keith Nichols".It will be
> available for listening until Feb. 27th at the following site:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yrhf7

Thanks Bert for that head's up.

I gave the piece a listen but found it very dissapointing on several
counts:
1)   Only one band is heard, though a good one: an Alyn Shipton-Keith
Nichols band probably assembled for the show;
2)   No recording of Morton, neither band, piano, nor Library of congress
though the latter was quoted by Mr. S.;
3)   The show begins with a long (1/2 hour) dissertation on Morton's
classical music roots, supposedly in the music of Gottschalk;
4)   The program goes 40:00 before we hear the band.

So an interesting, but very 'music conservatory' approach to Morton.

I'm currently in the process of preparing to post on my website an
adaptation of a 4 hour program on Morton that I did back in the KALW days, circa the
early 1990s when, BTW, you were kind enough to host a few programs and
bring your band to the studio on at least one occasion.

Best,

Dave Radlauer
www.JAZZHOTBigstep.com