[Dixielandjazz] Small Band Swing or Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 09:46:26 PST 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 2:20 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Marvin Ipswich <cornet at clearwire.net>
>
> Steve,
>
> I am a little perplexed by your latest posting on this subject. The
> original
> post was referring to the recording by James P. Johnson of After
> You've
> Gone. My point was I don't consider *that session* to be dixieland.
> That
> session has nothing to do with the other sessions pointed out in
> your latest
> email.
>
> Marek Boym, very rightly I might add, brought up the session by Ed
> Hall with
> a similar personnel stating it as dixieland. I agree.
>
> NOW - on to the recordings of I've Found a New Baby mentioned in
> your last
> post.
>
> I've been quite familiar with those sessions for years, having
> originally
> owned them on 78 - ages before Sudhalter had written his first book
> on Bix.
> My contention, which I can hear with my own ears, is that Freeman's
> session
> is dixieland and Wilson's is swing - regardless of the point
> Sudhalter is
> making. That's his opinion. (BTW, I have the greatest respect for
> the late
> Mr. Sudhalter, but don't believe everything written in his books is
> gospel.)
>
> In the case of the two above mentioned recordings, I would totally
> agree
> with the press at the time, which would have placed these in the same
> categories that I have. Again, just because Mr. Sudhalter disagreed
> doesn't
> really mean a whit to me. Those were his opinions. There was a great
> deal
> written about small band swing and dixieland before the publication
> of "Lost
> Chords."
>
> Here again, I'm perplexed as to why you have brought up these other
> comments, Condon's "we called it music" and Roy Eldridge about
> dixieland.
> Neither of these things have any bearing on the original post
> regarding
> After You've Gone. Just to point out to you, I'm very familiar with
> Mr.
> Condon, his music and his opinions. And the quote from Roy Eldridge,
> which
> you seem to bring up with some frequency, seems totally out of
> context,
> since he was commenting on a band playing dixieland. I hardly think
> he was
> summing up his entire career's work as "dixieland." I certainly can't
> believe anyone in the right mind would think that "Smack" by the
> Chocolate
> Dandies, "Heckler's Hop" by his own band, or "Swing is Here" by Gene
> Krupa
> [...]

Marvin:

I am perplexed that you are perplexed. <grin>

If you do not see my point that's OK with me. Different points of view
are what makes up this world, whether musically or otherwise.

My point is straight forward an seems quite logical to me. The two
categories have considerable overlap. And that in most cases, small
band swing was by Black Musicians and Dixieland was by White musicians
even though the two styles were the same in many cases. Even today we
get that "Blacks don't play Dixieland" statement which is hogwash in
my experience since I sometimes have 4 in my band. Oops, am I
therefore playing Small Band Swing? Or perhaps Swinging Dixieland?

I agree with you that the way a song is played determines what the
style of music is.  I disagreed with Marek's contention that certain
musicians were "known" as Dixieland musicians. I pointed out that the
musicians in question classified themselves as musicians, NOT
DIXIELAND MUSICIANS. I would ask the question, just who are the
"Dixieland" musicians? An invention of the fans perhaps?

Regarding small band swing v Dixieland I posted Sudhalter's point of
view. He felt the Wilson record was similar in form to the Freeman
record with polylinearity and band riffing implying that both records
should perhaps be classified the same way. Take your choice.

Now you and Marek may disagree and that's fine with me. However those
who believe that the Wilson record is not similar in musical form
should cite why if they want to back up their opinion, rather than
just say they are familiar with the recordings and it is not Dixieland
and that Freeman's was Dixieland. That is simply meaningless opinion
and points to the problems of defining what Dixieland is.

Regarding Eldridge's quote, he was of course not summing up his entire
career as Dixieland. Who, among white or black jazz musicians would?

As to where I would put the records you list if I was stocking a
record store in 1945, I can't answer that in 2011. Today, however, I
would stock them as Jazz, and list them alphabetically. <grin>

Regarding how posts change and the content of my post, who elected you
list policeman to tell anyone how to post, or whether or not to add to
or even change subjects???????

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband