[Dixielandjazz] Small Band Swing

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 13:21:36 PST 2011

Oh, well...
Strangely enough, before Wilbur de Paris organized his New New Orleans
Jazz Band, the de Paris brothers recorded for Commodore.  And guess
what?  Their music was much closer to New Orleans or Chicago than to
what they had been playing from the 1930's to mid-1940's.  And even
the same band referred to by Steve, with one change - Ed Hall instead
of Ben Webster, and with Sidney de Paris as nominal leader, sounded
like that, although Hall, too, had played with swing bands, and made
quire a few small band records that could hardly be described as
Dixieland.
Cheers