[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in Australia, was Sidney Jazz Scene

ulf.jagfors at telia.com ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Wed Feb 16 04:10:02 PST 2011

Dear Bill, Harry and Jack

Many thanks for the information about any OKOM jazz venue during Thursday and
Friday here in Sidney. My wife and I arrived in Sidney this Wednesday afternoon
from Cairns in North-Eastern Australia were we had spent three tropical climate
days, one on the Great Barrier Reef with snorkeling.  We are on a three weeks
great tour to Australia. So far we have spent time in Hong Kong, Perth,
Adelaide, Melbourne, Alice Springs, Ayres rock (Uluru rock), Cairns and finally
Sidney. We will leave for Sweden on Saturday. I am not sure if we can attend
the jazz event on Friday eve here in Sidney as this collide with our tour
farewell party. However, we will try to sneak away as early as possible so we
at least can attend the last part of the Friday venue.

As we have spent time to pay visits to Swedish friends and relatives in both
Perth and Melbourne we have only been able to visit one OKOM  venue and that
was in Adelaide. By search on Google we found out that the Southern Jazz Club
had their weekly Tuesday, yes Bill Tuesday, concert at The Highway Hotel just
outside Adelaide center and easily accessible by the streetcar. Upon arrival we
were heartily welcomed by the club members when we told them that we were
member of the Swedish equivalent trad jazz club in Stockholm.

On the program was a concert by the Phoenix Jazz and Swing Band lead by the
Derek Dalton on trumpet, trombone and vocals. Derek is a great player and the
band played the OKOM tunes in a typical Aussie US West Coast flavor style. The
band included a second trumpet player, the only fourteen year old David
Goodwin, who Derek let play a large part of the solos. David turned out to be a
very talented jazz musician with a little bit Bix tone in his playing. It
should be interesting to see how David will develop over the next years. His
solos were considering his age already very developed and apart from his
trumpet playing, he also played a piano solo tune of his own in a more modern
style. We could not stay the whole evening as we had an early flight next
morning but we heard following tunes played.

Get out of here, Days of wine and roses, Muscrat Ramble, Margie, Let?s do it,
You must have been a beautiful Baby, Pearls of the Indians?, Smile, Happy Feet.

After the intermission a few of the regular band members, reed, drums and bass,
were substituted by some very young  players with David Goodman on piano. They
started with Doctor Jazz. I believe it is very insightful to let the young
generation take the stage and try their wings. Unfortunately we then had to
leave. Many thanks from me and my wife for the nice visit to the Southern Jazz
Club in Adelaide, Au.

Ulf Jagfors