[Dixielandjazz] Red Rodney

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 15 06:19:01 PST 2011

I probably didn't include reference to Red'a amusement at having been trained in
jail for what turned out to be a career in crime. Of course by more recent
banking standards he simply didn't embezzle enough to have the facility
extended.

There was an extended interview with Red in Jazz Monthly long ago, part of a
series with disappeared musicians of the 1940s, which is how I know about the
financial career.

I suspect I heard Red at his latterday very best, his appearance was connected
with an invitation to the film festival premiere of Bird and he said he'd been
hoping for the best when he arrived to play with local rhythm -- and he really
did mean it when he said he hadn't expected he'd find support so much better
than he'd dared hope for -- mostly Alex Shaw on piano. He looked a happy man,
and was himself more than I'd dared hope for.