[Dixielandjazz] Super Bowl National Anthem

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 07:22:44 PST 2011

How many of us were so put off my the musicality of Ms. Aguilera's
performance that we missed the fact that she mangled the words? Note
that millions of the hoi polloi noted that fact almost immediately.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

NY TIMES - FEBRUARY 6, 2011, 9:52 PM - BY ELIZABETH HARRIS
Singing, Aguilera Trips O’er Ramparts

The Star-Spangled Banner can be a notoriously difficult song to sing,
with its broad range and piercing high notes. But usually, the lyrics
work out just fine.
At the opening of Super Bowl XLV, less than a minute into the song,
Christina Aguilera mangled some words of the national anthem.
Instead of “O’er the ramparts we watch’d, were so gallantly
streaming,” Ms. Aguilera belted out, “What so proudly we watched at
the twilight’s last reaming.” That line was a repeat of one she’d
already sung a few seconds earlier, except with some personal
embellishments, like her replacement of the word “gleaming” with
“reaming.”
Ms. Aguilera’s flub was heard by tens of millions of viewers. Twitter
was immediately abuzz with talk of her mistake, and by the third
quarter her Wikipedia page was changed to include the incident.
“I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and
that the true spirit of its anthem still came through,” Aguilera said
in a statement after the performance, The Associated Press reported.