[Dixielandjazz] Correct Pitch frequency? (was: correct pitch, Ory, Savoy Blues)

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Feb 5 06:56:22 PST 2011

This is a question I've pondering of late too. Whilst looking to buy a secondhand clarinet I was made aware that there is a difference between the tuning of American and European clarinets, although even then not all European countries adhere to the same standard. I can't remember the details though.

I was chatting to a piano tuner recently and he mentioned that generally the 'standard' pitch has risen since the 19th Century.

There is an interesting summary on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pitch_standards_in_Western_music

All the best,

Allan Brown