[Dixielandjazz] Correct Pitch frequency? (was: correct pitch, Ory, Savoy Blues)

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sat Feb 5 06:30:29 PST 2011

While we're on this question of correct pitch, does anyone know the
frequency of concert A in the 1920's. It's not all that long ago that it
went up from 440 Hz to 442 Hz. The first trombone (2nd hand) that i bought
in 1947 was tuned to concert pitch B, and to use it in our jazz band I had
to pull the tuning slide out until it was about to drop off! This of course
meant I couldn't position the slide to the seventh position, so that low B
and low E had to be faked with the lips.

Cheers

Bob Smith