[Dixielandjazz] Correct Recording Speed (and Savoy Blues)

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Thu Feb 3 17:58:33 PST 2011

Bert Brandsma wrote:

"the long glissandi Ory plays on Savoy Blues are almost impossible in G,
they are very well possible in F.
in F from 6 position to 1 is perfect. In G in this register, it doesn't
work, unless you have extra valves.
Another reason I think so is that Ory goes to E on C7 chord, had it been in
G, he would have gone up further to A on D7 chord."

I recall a conversation I had with trombonist Mike Owen many years ago about
this very thing. He told me that Ory wouldn't have played the tune in G for
that very reason.

I also recall a conversation with an Albert system clarinetist (sorry, don't
remember who), who stated that there's no way Dodds would logically play
what he did on Savoy Blues if it were in F.

All of these things should be consideration when trying to determine correct
pitches of old recordings.

I actually used the program Audacity to drop the pitch on Savoy Blues to F.
It really sounds good there, as does Cornet Chop Suey in Eb and Struttin
With Some Barbeque in F.

Just FYI - I remember when the reissue of the Louis Plays W.C. Handy CD came
out in the 1990s. The pitches are off on that, too, because no one took the
time to check them...

Regards,
Marvin