[Dixielandjazz] Rio Clemente

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 3 13:51:34 PST 2011

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote answering Harry Callaghan:
>
>>  Harryb wroteMonday, February 28 -- Pianist *Rio Clemente* will
>> play the first piano solo of the year here. ?Come hear the Bishop
>> of Jazz, unencumbered by sidemen.
>> Rio is immensely popular throughout the region, and Morristown is
>> his home
>> turf. ?He can do wonders with their big Kawai grand, with his own
>> stylistic
>> facets that are difficult to categorize.
>

> Marek answered: When I first encountered Rio Clemente at the
> Waterloo Village Jazz
> Festival all those years ago, it was with some anxiety - his name
> hinted at Latin jazz.  How wrong I was!  I enjoyed his playing a lot,
> and so probably will those of you who care to come and hear him.

Here I am returning Marek's favor and agreeing with HIM. I had the
good fortune to play with Rio Clemente on piano, and Ed Wise on bass
at Fred's Farm in Lafayette NJ  a year or two ago. He was absolutely
stunning. We did some wonderful improv together on "New Orleans" that
made it sound as if Bach wrote it.

Not only a great jazz pianist, but also a great guy.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband