[Dixielandjazz] Sidewalk Blues JRM vs, Marsalis

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Dec 31 11:26:14 PST 2011

david richoux wrote:

> Regarding tempo - a lot of the early New Orleans songs were supposed
> to be "Struts" so a bit slower tempo is sometimes proper. I think many
> "Dixie Bands" play/played songs too hot and fast - even Tiger Rag (AKA
> Blues Number 2) can still swing at a slower pace, if you do it right.
(snip)

Doing songs at various tempos is fine.  Sometimes I have a specific tempo in mind and then hear a good band play a song in a different tempo and I think to my self, wow, that works.  I never thought of doing it at that tempo.

However, in this particular recording, it is not the tempo, it is the fact that the tempo drags down and ends up slower than what it started at.

--Bob Ringwald