[Dixielandjazz] [Ragtime & Jazz - was Dogfight

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 08:17:32 PST 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:

> Probably because your musicians skipped the Ragtime era, and the
> Marching Band era >>
>
> Hi Steve,
> No we didn`t.  Black Bottom, Charleston etc were just as popular
> here as anywhere else.
> Marching Bands. We missed that thank the Lord. Marching Bands were
> for the military.
> We are making up for them now. Every village seems to have a
> marching band with 6 year old baton twirlers. Worse than bloody
> Morris Dancers
>
> Pat

  Dear Pat:

I didn't phrase my thought correctly. Of course there were ragtime and
marching bands around the world. What was missing worldwide was the
direct  transition from them to "Jazz Bands" anywhere but in the USA.

The point I was trying to make was that jazz did not occur worldwide
until after the rest of the world heard the ODJB and other recorded US
versions, or saw US jazz bands when they went on tour.

Cheers,
Steve