[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 12:05:18 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Rickz wrote:
There is frequently an out chorus on many jazz tunes, but it is orchestrated pretty carefully..
I just listened to a bunch of Firehouse Five tunes, and they don't dogfight.... they have a pretty well arranged
(or planned out) outchorus.
BTW, I don't give a damn what they do in Marches.   Trad Jazz is dance music, don't you know???

*	*	*	*	*
The most important element of what we do is the spontaneity. Haven't your most successful and memorable gigs been the ones where spontaneous, surprising things happened? Hasn't that received the best reaction from your audiences? Hasn't that made those gigs the most fun for the players?  When things are predictable, they can bore the audience and the band. Think about magicians......the audience is held in rapt attention and why? The unexpected happens all throughout their performance.

As my friend Vic Powell says, planned out/rehearsed = premeditated jazz.
My 2¢.
Cheers,
John