[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight!

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 11:14:50 PST 2011

I'm sorry, I have to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion of
"dogfight" and hopefully clear up what I think are misconceptions:

As a member of Bob Schulz's band for almost 25 years, I think the only times
(in his band or mine) I can think of when the term "dogfight" is used is for
the short interludes that have become "standard" between certain strains of
certain tunes like "Clarinet Marmalade" and "That's A'Plenty." For example,
in "That's A'Plenty" it usually occurs after the verse and first chorus are
played and then again just before the last ensemble chorus or two.

In "Clarinet Marmalade" it occurs at 1:06 and 2:54 in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn_3T4vbtE

At about 1:00 and 3:09 in "That's A'Plenty" in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ8t1UpIJ-Y

The example in the cited link below is just our normal arrangement of
"Oriental Strut" where at the end of the tune the band plays what is
actually the verse, then I play the first half of the out-chorus and the
rest of the band comes in at the end. "Oriental Strut" does not really have
a "dogfight" interlude in it. Actually, if he were to yell out, "DOGFIGHT"
during "Oriental Strut," everyone in the band would probably fall off the
stage in utter confusion.

I think you may have misunderstood what Bob was illustrating at the Jazz
Camp or, possibly, he used the term when he really meant "loose out-chorus."
He's been known to do that sometimes :)

Scott Anthony
Bob Schulz Frisco Jazz Band and Golden Gate Rhythm Machine