[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 13:19:05 PST 2011

Yes, there are those jammers who think if they know the tune they should
play it.  :?)

Dick asks banjo players who are new to sitting in with his Jammers to
simply do straight chordal strums down on the beat without a strum  back up on
the & of the count.  No kidding, I have had banjo players  tell me that they
understand that's what he wants, but "they can't play that  way".  So they
"chuck-a-luck-a" (his term) on every beat of every  number.  Things like that
help me understand why many hate banjos in trad  jazz since I hate that
constant noisy commotion myself. Many banjo players  who "sign-up" for this and
other learning groups have only ever played with  other banjo players, etc.
 They're pretty limited in getting dynamics,  nuance, even listening and
responding in kind.  I also know banjo  band players who may have been with a
banjo club for years, but are unable to  playon only 2 & 4.

This is not to imply that the banjoist in Dick Williams  Jammers can't work
with the jammer rhythm section and do  stop-time choruses, two-beat, extra
strokes in a change-up etc.  When he's  comfortable that he has a good
working rhythm section, he will let them do  their thing.  ( He also sometimes
does that because he has given up.   LOL)  He will  generally always give the
banjos their turn at a solo  chorus.

It's amazing how well Dick pulls off the Jammers since he always has
newcomers.  There may be problems at any turn, drummers and/or bass  instruments
who can't keep time, pianists who have never learned their role  in trad
jazz, horns who have never improvised.  So it's a big help if the  banjo can
keep a steady four beat AND play the correct chord.  At the same  time a
surprising number of very competent jammers are always aboard.  Many  sets end up
surprisingly tight and lots of good music gets played.  Dick is  also very
good at communicating what he wants if you pay attention to him.

Personal story.  My first set on my first Jammer's Cruise.  I was  as
nervous as the cat on the hot tin roof.  Dick was using 3  banjos in the set
because everyone who signs on gets turns.  I knew the guy  on my right was very
competent.  He had already been giving me some email  tips prior to the
cruise.  I was using your chord book.  As we finish  the first number the
competent guy gets up out of his chair and I can tell he's  agitated.  I don't
know if he's leaving or what.  But he walks out  around me and says to the guy
on my left, "Listen to the drummer!"  Goes  back to his chair.  We continue.
 I was so relieved that message was  not for me!

Ginny

In a message dated 12/26/2011 11:57:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,