[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Dec 26 09:57:04 PST 2011

Hi Ginny. Please expand, if you can, on these comments. I suspect part of
the banjoists' negative reaction to Dick's ideas is a desire to do more
than play straight rhythm.

I had that malady when learning to play jazz band piano--my head was
steeped in Fats Waller, but I was stepping all over the guys' leads, etc.
Fortunately I recorded every thing I played, and one night after the guys
had been nagging me to "boom-chuck", one guy interrupted his solo to make
boom-chuck motions with his arms. When I listened to the tape after I got
home, I was amazed how much better I sounded in the band context, and
thenceforth I became a useful pianist.

I began working with banjo with no preconceptions, learning immediately
that basically straight rhythm was the right way. Note, however, that
absolutely straight rhythm can become extremely boring for folks capable
of more, so wise band leaders will provide a couple opportunities for
rhythm players to "get it out of their system"...

--Sheik