[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

Barb Jordan jordan_barb at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 06:46:06 PST 2011

Thanks Ginny.

As I mentioned in my reply to Phil, I am seeking information and advice for my friend Jeff.  I bought him a 4 string tenor banjo for Christmas.  He is really keen to learn and now that I am reading all this great information, I am also thinking maybe I could try to learn as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with using YouTube as a resource.  I do this for my singing and Jeff does also for his avid interest in the music and the times.  His Dad was a friend of a guy named ( last name is Skully - I think) who was a Duke Ellington`s manager for a while.

Jeff remembers as a kid a bunch of guys that would gather in his house from time to time and ( Skully and others ) and I he listened to lots of music his Dad played.

We were at The Bix festival in Davenport Iowa this past August and when Jeff heard a band play Barnacle Bill - he almost fell over as he hadn`t heard that since his Dad had sung it to him as a kid.

I just love hearing from you and others!

Thanks again and have a good holiday season.

Barbara