[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 25 17:58:03 PST 2011

Hi Barb,
I know this in not the question you asked, but I want to throw in that if I
 were doing it all over again, I would first listen to LOTS of jazz banjo
players  which one can do these days via YouTube.  I would decide who I
really liked  to listen to and whom I thought did a good job for the band.  Next
I would  ask them if they teach and what tuning they teach.  (There are a
number of  fine jazz banjoists giving lessons via Skype or some such these
days and that  process works very well.)  Ask for their recommendations if they
don't  teach.

You know way more than I originially did already by knowing you would  like
to play trad jazz.  I played tenor for maybe 5 years before switching  to
standard plectrum tuning, trying to keep going with both for awhile.   When I
switched to plectrum I did it because I like to listen to myself doing
hours of practice more on the plectrum than the tenor, not because I had a
goal of playing trad jazz.  When I finally realized how interested I  was in
doing some trad jazz  the challenge then became how I could learn  and adapt
on the tuning I preferred so that other band members gave me  affirmation
once in awhile.

Ginny

In a message dated 12/25/2011 1:41:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,