[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 25 13:49:39 PST 2011

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote
>
> Louis Lince wrote:
>
>> Loosen up folks and just enjoy the fact that the concert occured
>> and was
>> recorded and then released.
>

> Dear Louis,
>
> No need for me to "Loosen up."  I also am glad that the concert was
> recorded and released.  Anything thing such as that will help the
> situation with OKOM.
>
> However, just because it was recorded and released doesn't mean that
> I have to like all of the solos.  I am speaking as a musician who
> made my living playing music for 25 years.  The general public hear
> the music differently than a pro musician.  I am commenting on my
> opinion of the trumpet solos especially.  They didn't make any sense
> musically.  IMO they were just screwing around making a mockery out
> of a good song.
>
> We play "Ice Cream" in my band and the crowd loves it.
>
> Again IMO, the clarinet was not out of tune, at least on Ice Cream.
> I haven't heard any more of the recording.  The bass player played a
> great solo.
>
> The distorted guitar did not add anything to the song musically.
> However, I'm sure it will help sell the recording.  The younger
> folks, who are gradually growing to be older folks just seem to love
> the distorted guitars, screaming, yelling, loud senseless Rock
> music.  The distorted guitar in this recording is just a taste of
> that.  I don't care to hear a distorted guitar sound.  If I want to
> hear that, I'll just poke a hole in my speakers.
>
> I am certainly not a Wynton detractor, or whatever the word would
> be.  I think he has done, and is doing a great job bringing Jazz to
> the forefront.  Gawd only knows we need someone such as him, Woody
> Allen, Diana Krall and the others who are playing and singing good
> quality music in the face of a title wave of crap being forced on
> the general public.

Hey Bob & Louis:

What do you think about this tune? Clapton on vocal. "The Last Time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwz8kVO3i34

BTW, I respectfully disagree about the trumpet solos and guitar sound
not being musical. I adore them both. To me they communicate.  But
then, that's just an opinion from a guy who liked the Bob Brookmeyer
additions to OKOM sound and thinks Pee Wee Russell was one of the
GREAT clarinetists because he also used the horn to communicate.

And if it helps sell the DVD/CD to the younger set, thats a good thing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband