[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 24 13:42:22 PST 2011

Strictly My Opinion.

I have the DVD and I think it is WONDERFUL.

Opposite opinion from Bob and Rick. But those differences of opinion,
to quote an old saying, are what makes horse racing.

To me the trumpets are certainly playing jazz. To me the clarinet of
Victor Goines sounds in tune (except when he wants to bend the notes)
and very beautiful. I wish I could play the instrument as well.

And of course, I find it quite funny that white people would not hear
the authenticity of black people playing a genre that blacks invented.
No, they are not recreating what's already been played (why should
they) but rather re-inventing it with a more modern touch.

Why Ice Cream? Simple, this is a BLUES album. Relatively simple music.
Not supposed to be complicated. Though I am often amazed that some of
the re-creators of old music cannot play the Blues.

Yazoo City or New Orleans? I would simply repeat the testimony of a
"Jazz" musician who testified in the early part of the 20th century,
at the judicial copyright hearing on whether Barnyard Blues and Livery
Stable Blues were the same tune. And if so, who should get credit for
it:

"Jedge, blues is blues".

Yeah, I guess what's left of the elites of trad jazz may not like this
album, but by the same token I think it brings something NEW to the
party and that IMO, is what jazz is all about.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband