[Dixielandjazz] Art & Entertainment - When it's good it always blends.

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Dec 18 11:14:36 PST 2011

Oh, Dear:

The subject of Art or Entertainment rose again from the place where old
threads go to die.  Like some Zombie from the place where
redundancy lives an eternal life, that thread is again appearing this
past week.

Entertainment, when performed by seasoned professionals, IS an art. I
draw this conclusion from the experience of growing up in the midst of
musical entertainers who proved that good playing and good humored
presentation can and has risen to the level of an art form.
Being a band brat in the looney family of musicians and certifiable
zanies of the Spike Jones City Slickers band was a master's course in
the cross-over art of music (the art) and the prattfalls, hiccups,
sneezes, and assorted breakage (the entertainment) that melded into
classic moments on record or on stage.

Working in the bands of my father, (Red Ingle & the Natural Seven), Mike
Riley, and with Freddie "Schnicklefritz" Fisher gave me even more
understanding of how art and entertainment can blend to the enjoyment of
the audience. Art for art's sake is nice - but if you also prefer a
paycheck, then you hopefully will have learned to blend both genres from
the view of the musician. One can also hope that the audience has also
learned to understand and appreciate that the two - art and
entertainment - are indeed mutually compatible, and can enjoy the moment.

Perchance we can hold new services on these poor tattered remains of one
hell of an old argument. If you like it, support it. If you don't, find
a new hobby and let sleeping doggerels lie!

Don (Federal courts be damned, I'll always say it, Merry Christmas to
all) Ingle

PS: A month and a half late showing up and still only a dusting, but
this part of No. Michigan finally got snow last night. Be glad you are
not in the ski business this winter.