[Dixielandjazz] Art vs. Entertainment - was- Audience

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:45:34 PST 2011

Yes, indeed!
The leader of Isradixie tells jokes, and its singer Paul Moore is an
all-round entertainer who also plays banjo, ukelele (and ukele banjo)
and guitar, but also pots and spoons and teapots and what not!
The New Orleans Function plays for dancers, and they come in droves;
they come also when the band plays just for listening, because they've
learnt to appreciate our music.

>More recently, how about
> Kenny Davern? If you've seen him play, you realize he was a musical artist.
> And you also know that he was, like Armstrong an entertainer.

In a completely different way.  As part of the Soprano Summit, while
Wilber was serious, he was impish.

> IMO, "art" and "entertainment" are certainly not be mutually exclusive.

> At
> one time there may have been an "art" audience for OKOM. They went to
> festivals to pat each other on the back because they were the few, among the
> unwashed many, that truly understood musical art. They looked down on
> "entertainers".

There were daus when I was like that.  But I've learnt to know better.
 Now I enjoy both kinds.

Cheers