[Dixielandjazz] The Audience is Dying

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 17 10:05:16 PST 2011

I think Kash and Marek missed my point about the "audience dying". I
should have stated it more clearly.

The general discussion was about the Ocean Shores audience and then
Trad Jazz Festivals in the USA. Those festivals DO NOT, by and large,
seek younger audiences to replace the dead. The audience that used to
attend are dying off, or otherwise infirm. Thus NO AUDIENCE.

On the other hand, as Kash points out, the audience for music is still
alive and well. Especially for Dixieland Bands like Jim's, or mine and
others that play in venues other than trad jazz festivals.

Neither he (I think, because I cannot speak for him) nor I have any
problems drawing and/or pleasing audiences for our music and we both
play a lot of gigs. And we both play Dixieland for audiences of YOUNG
people as well as old people.

OKOM festivals started up when there was no longer much OKOM to be
heard in other venues. There was still a huge audience of people who
had grown up with the music that attended them and a LARGE DEMAND for
the music, contrasted by limited supply. So Festivals started and
prospered. The demographics are quite different today for several
reasons.

1) That audience of people who grew up with the music has been dying
off for at least the last decade.
I can remember posting about the decline and future fall of OKOM
festivals on the DJML when I first joined it around a decade ago.
Along with pleas to expand the audience by drawing in young people. I
took a lot of heat for it back then, from folks who were living in
denial. No doubt one can find some of those posts in the archives.
Including one that Sacramento was in trouble before the board members
actually knew it.

2) In some areas of the USA now, one can find Dixieland or Swing or
OKOM on a regular basis in venues other than OKOM festivals. And with
the TOP players. Best example is NYC with a plethora of GREAT OKOM
bands performing every week. Other examples are Philadelphia and
Washington DC.
Folks within a 100 mile radius of NYC can go in and hear Jon Erik
Kellso with a fantastic band every Sunday, or Vince Giordano with an
excellent band every Monday and Tuesday, or Gully Low Jazz Band every
Wednesday, as well as superb OKOM concerts put on at Lincoln Center,
the 92nd Street Y, or at The Sidney Bechet Jazz Society etc., etc.,
etc. That said, there is obviously no need for a festival to hear the
music near NYC.
NO FESTIVAL DEMAND =  NO FESTIVAL AUDIENCE = NO FESTIVAL

3) The combination of declining festival audience numbers and rising
expenses of running a festival make it very difficult to bring the top
bands to a given festival. For example: They simply cannot afford to
fly far away bands to most west coast festivals, or in the case of
Ocean Shores, to go more than 500 miles away for bands. That limits
the musical quality of the festival, which in turn limits the
audience. It is a self perpetuating, decreasing circle, that causes a
festival to collapse under its own weight.

A festival like Sacramento has a HUGE PROBLEM. They once drew huge
crowds, hired a great many bands, made a lot of money, all from old
folks. That plus a lack of financial transparency resulted in almost a
$ million surplus in the bank during the good times, after all
festival expenses were paid.  That money was spent on running the
festival when audiences started to decline and expenses started to
rapidly escalate. That use of surplus money was kept secret from the
board until one year when that surplus ran out, and the festival
needed a loan  from the city. The new board, Bob Ringwald and the
others who now run Sacto have a tiger by the tale. What to do?

Either expand the audience to make enough money to support all the
good works that the festival sponsors. Or shrink the festival to trad
bands only which will not generate any money to support those things
like the Jazz Camp for kids, et., etc., etc. Or expand the musical
offering and change the public perception of the festival.  It had
long been viewed by the locals as a gathering of old farts parading
with umbrellas and otherwise acting stupid. Thus it was a weekend
where the locals bragged about avoiding downtown. How long will it
take to change perception and gain a new audience? Several years at
least, maybe a decade. After all, how long did it take Sacto's
festival to grow to its 1990 size?

So please folks, think before you criticize those who are trying to
salvage the Sacramento Festival and bring it into the 21st Century.
Better yet, volunteer to help them put it all together.

Failing that, if you are a muso go find a venue where the new audience
is and play for them. Compete head to head for audience with bands in
other genres like some of us do. It isn't that difficult.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband