[Dixielandjazz] Wynton's New Gig

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 17 08:36:11 PST 2011

Congratulations to Wynton. I hope he plays / discusses that album with
him and Eric Clapton.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

DECEMBER 15, 2011- NY TIMES - by james McKinley jr.
Wynton Marsalis to Join CBS

Wynton Marsalis, the virtuoso jazz trumpet player and longtime
artistic director of Jazz at Lincoln Center, is adding another job to
his resume: television commentator.
CBS News announced on Thursday that Mr. Marsalis would begin appearing
on its morning shows as a “cultural correspondent” in mid-January.
Though his precise role is unclear, the announcement said the 50-year-
old jazz artist from New Orleans would offer “insight into a broad
range of cultural and educational developments.”
Mr. Marsalis has ties to CBS news going back many years. He has
appeared several times on “60 Minutes” and took part in a special
memorial tribute to Ed Bradley, the CBS correspondent who died in
2006. Mr. Marsalis also recorded the trumpet fanfare that opens the
“CBS Sunday Morning” show.
David Rhodes, the president of CBS News, said Mr. Marsalis will also
bring his expertise as an educator to bear on the weekend shows.
Beyond being one of the most important trumpet players and jazz
composers of his generation, Mr. Marsalis has become well known as an
music educator through the programs he has started as part of Jazz at
Lincoln Center, including programs to train jazz players on the high
school and middle school levels.
For his part, Mr. Marsalis released a statement saying he was thrilled
to work for CBS. “I look forward to sharing with viewers the
incredible variety and richness of our national culture — from ballet
to the blues, from barbecue to the backbeat,” he said.