[Dixielandjazz] Another Festival Bites the Dust

Kit W. Johnson kit at bscjb.com
Thu Dec 15 12:30:12 PST 2011

Bob, in this case, I think your inferred facts may be a bit off.

Ocean Shores has had alternative styles for several years now and went
wholesale in that direction this year. Unfortunately, the numbers simply
weren't there to support that direction either.

My speculation, for what it's worth, is that they lost some of the core
traditional jazz fans when making the switch as the number of pure trad
bands was limited. This problem appeared to be compounded in that they
didn't have enough resources devoted to finding new audience members to
support the new types of bands presented. And unfortunately, some of these
newer ensembles were simply not prepared for this type of festival in terms
of stage presence, breadth of library and endurance.

I'm no smarter than the next guy in understanding how non-profit boards will
solve this problem, but simply broadening the musical styles presented isn't
a panacea to fixing the broader marketing challenge.

Kit W. Johnson
Black Swan Classic Jazz Band
503-292-7673
503-970-1251 (cell)