[Dixielandjazz] The Lu Watters sold out venue

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 16:49:54 PST 2011

 And isn't it amazing that most of these great players are touring the world and making good money at events not considered Jazz Society events, they are routinely hired by major Music Festivals and events and other organizations that appear to do a lot more to actually Preserve Traditional Jazz and expand it's reach to other audiences.     I find it akin these so called Blues Societies all preaching about keeping the Blues alive, however they keep it alive in small dingy bars full of people who like to drink cheaply and pay the Blues Bands cheaply as well.    US colleges have done more to promote and keep the Blues alive than all the societies put together.  Many high school kids "DISCOVER" the Blues in college and most embrace it quickly, and some evolve into Jazz lovers as well.

Marketing Marketing and EXPOSURE to masses   !!!

Cheers,

Bart

Perhaps there is a lesson  here about the Lu Watters event selling out
in a few days.

Could that lesson be that IF you have a GREAT BAND, playing OKOM in a
tribute to Lu Watters, or Louis Armstrong or Sidney Bechet, or whom
ever, that you can indeed draw large audiences who will pay good money
to hear them? Perhaps we need to rethink just which bands we should be
hiring?

How about hiring bands such as that which played the Watters
Centennial? (Leon Oakley, Duke Heitger, Orange Kellin, Tom Bartlett,
Conal Fowkes, Kevin Dorn, Clint Baker and John Gill)

There are a lot more GREAT OKOMers that could be added with bands led
by folks such as Jon Erik Kellso, Bucky Pizzarelli, Frank  Vignola,
Joe Ascione, Tom Artin, Dan Barrett, Marty Grosz, Evan Christopher,
etc., etc., etc.

So many great players are available that could represent various OKOM
genres in a festival, or large venue setting.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband