[Dixielandjazz] Back Home Again In Indiana

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 08:19:22 PST 2011

Many time during my life I have heard folks say they hate to play or
listen  to Back Home Again In Indiana. Usually they claim it is the
same old stuff, no new way to add to it etc.

Nowadays when I hear that, I simply pass on this You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI-h4urmKtA

As  most of us know, Donna Lee was written by Miles Davis who composed
it, in 4 note groupings, over the chord changes of Back Home In
Indiana and changed the key from F to Ab.  For an explanation of what
4 note groupings are, see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Four_Note_Group.

Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown and Wynton Marsalis all enjoyed this
tune and form. You can hear them on it at:

This one by Parker & Chet Baker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYWKwjBvR90

This one by Clifford Brown at a Jam Session in Philadelphia - Barbone
Street bassist Ace Tesone is on this recording.
There is some mis-information in the comments. This recording was
actually made a few hours before Brownie died in a car accident on the
way to a gig in Chicago. Ziggy Vines, the Sax player is mistaken when
he says it was a year before Brown died as is the info in Brown's
biography which used Vines as a source. Ace and everyone else in the
band that night except Ziggy confirm that it was taped secretly just
before Brown, Richie Powell and Powell's wife left for Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVzU1yvFCh8&feature=related

This one by Wynton Marsalis who comes in at 6 min 10 sec. Listen to
him experiment with the form/time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7Teb9xq1Y

I picked some esoteric versions but there are many more to listen to
if folks are of a mind to do so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband