[Dixielandjazz] Film, "Beginners"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 31 15:48:12 PDT 2011

Dear friends,
We weren't all that impressed with the new Mike Mills' movie 'Beginners', which we saw last Tuesday.
Well acted (Christopher Plummer, Ewan McGregor and Melanie Laurent) and filmed, but not quite our kind of love story fillum.
   http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/beginners-film-review-29996
A few people walked out.
I would have, but wanted to see how it finished.
It didn't.
However, I was fascinated by the sound track.
Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress stuff and some oldies from the early 20s.
Well integrated too.
(Shades of director, Woody Allen.)
The following details are from the sound track CD.
There were several others recordings, not on the CD or mentioned in internet credits, including one of my longtime favourites:
[Brad] Gowan's Rhapsody Makers (1926)
'I'll Fly To Hawaii".

1. Stardust – Hoagy Camichael
2. Everything’s Made For Love – Gene Austin
3. Bach Suite – David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell
4. 1955 – David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell
5. Sweet Jazz Music – Jelly Roll Morton
6. That Da Da Strain – Mamie Smith
7. Mamanita – Jelly Roll Morton
8. Moon Waltz – David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell
9. Veronica’s Blues – David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell [in the JRM style].
10. Breezin’ Along with the Breeze – Josephine Baker
11. Beginners Theme Suite – David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell
12. Buddy Bertrand’s Blues – Jelly Roll Morton

Kind regards,
Bill.