[Dixielandjazz] Play The Melody!

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 29 05:32:35 PDT 2011

I read on the list jus recently that Louis' Armstrong's mentor - King
Oliver - had urged him in the 1920s to always play a good straight melody.

Many years later, in the 1970s in fact, when I was working with the late and
great Tom Baker to put together his Yerba Buena styled San Francisco Jazz
Band he urged me to do the same thing, for I was wont to stray from a
straight melody when playing lead horn at that time.

Tom told me that, in turn, he had been mentored by Dan Barrett on that very
subject and Dan had urged HIM to always play a good straight melody.

I largely stuck to that advice over the many years that I played jazz
trumpet, and was reminded very strongly of the advice when I attended a
recent jazz gig here in Sydney.

The band's front line was the regular reeds, trumpet and trombone, and I was
somewhat surprised that it often took me almost a full chorus to recognise
what was the new tune they had just started to play, for the trumpeter
played more of an improvised solo than a straight melody lead.

This happened on almost every tune they played, and I found it somewhat
irksome.

What do other listmates and bandleaders think about this subject?

Should the lead horn lay down a solid melody lead for the other front liners
to embroider, or should he/she do the improvised solo thing and let the
audience guess what tune they're playing?

Eric Holroyd
Sydney, Australia