[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 08:25:54 PDT 2011

>  "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote
>

> The Sacramento festival has not changed its format, other than what
> it has been doing since the mid 80s when it first went out on a limb
> and hired Igor's Jazz Cowboys.  He turned out to be our number one
> draw for many years.  He was the top band at PBIS (Putting butts in
> seats), selling tickets and selling CDs.
>
> More recently, Tom Rigney and Flambeau have been our top draw in all
> catigories.  As you know, Tom is sort of a Zydeco band, but much
> more.  He is certainly not Dixieland.
>
> What does that tell you?
>
> I remember about 3-years ago, with most of the top Dixieland bands
> at the Sac Fest, there were only about 5 of them rated in the top 25
> bands.  What does that tell you?
>
> Once again I repeat, the Festival next year will be no different
> than it was last year or the year before.  Only the name has been
> changed "To protect the innocent..."
>
> Actually, we have tried for 20 years to convince the locals and the
> press that we are more than a banjo/tuba/old folks festival.  But,
> we hear over and over, "We don't like that kind of music."
>
> You, being in show biz should understand PR.  The name change is
> number 1, to correctly identify that we are more than just a tuba/
> banjo/old farts festival;  #2  To sell more tickets.
>
> If we sell more tickets, we will be able to afford more bands,
> better bands, including Jazz bands.  And perhaps someday bring in a
> Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, or whomever is on top at the time.  That
> would give us more money to bring in more Trad bands.
>
> And don't forget our wonderful youth music programs.  With more
> money to work with, just imagine what we could do, introducing more
> youth to Classic Jazz.
>
> As Steven Joseph, wash board player with several bands including the
> Uptown Low Down JB once told me:
>
> "Every time I walk by a venue where a Blues or Zydeco band is
> playing, I stop and say thank you.  Because, by people purchasing
> tickets to see them, it enables us to present OKOM (Our Kind Of
> Music.)
>
> Talk to the organizers of Orange County and Jazz In The Olympics if
> you want to know how hard it is these days to put on a festival.
>
> The times have changed and we have to change with it or not have a
> festival at all.
>
> Perhaps you would prefer that Sacramento close up shop, rather than
> presenting different forms of music, including Jazz?
>
> Then what would happen would be a sharp promoter would grab Memorial
> Day in Sacramento and put on a Rock or blues Festival with no Jazz
> at all.
>
> Is that what you, and other naysayer's want?

AMEN BOB!!!

Couple of points.

1) It is the "other" music that supports the trad venues these days,
NOT the reverse. Bottom line? THose who come to hear the other music
are supporting those who come to hear the banjo / tuba trad, as well
as the other Dixieland genres.

2) To all those who want small trad only festivals, be careful what
you wish for. Those festivals will get smaller and smaller until they
disappear because there are not enough TRAD FANS to support them.

Simple as that. One or two trad fans are not enough to keep the music
viable. Those few fans would do much better to support Sacto than
complain about it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband