[Dixielandjazz] Regina Carter - Jazz Violinist

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Aug 21 22:00:17 PDT 2011

anichols at gis.net wrote:

> Thanks Steve for the Regina Carter links.
>
> I'd like to ask the list if they are troubled with the curse of having
> a certain expectation from the sound of an instrument, that it takes
> from the enjoyment of listening because the expectation isn't met.

Firstly I will say, no.

Secondly, Let me say that this is a very friendly email list.  Please sign your Name when posting to the List.  Also we'd like to know where you are located.

> I'm a jazz fiddler of sorts and totally cursed by the Stephane Grappelli
> sound in my head.

Pretty good curse if you ask me.

> I've written Steve before about Jonathan Russell who I think leaves
> much to be desired (I should listen again because he's growing),

My gawd, how can you say that about Jonathan?  He is probably 14 or 15 now and improving incredibly fast.  He is still very much learning and soaking up the musicians who came before him, as we all did.

If, and I say if, he keeps working at it and does not stop to read his own press, in a few years, he will be intouchable.

> Regina Carter leaves less to be desired but I'm in heaven listening
> to Ben Powell, and Florin Nicelescu comes close. Ben has that attack
> and such flawless intonation, Jonathan's problem,  that I'd defy anyone
> to differentiate him from Stephane Grappelli when he's playing our kind
> of music.

As I say, he is still learning.  And as a good friend of mine, a terrific lead trumpet player who played with all the big bands in the 30s and 40s told me, "If you are going to copy, then copy the best..."

Give a listen to Joe Venuti.  It doesn't get any better than that.

> For all other instrumentation I have a very wide tolerance and pretty
> much enjoy it all. I'd be very interested in others point of view.

--Bob Ringwald