[Dixielandjazz] Regina Carter - Jazz Violinist

anichols at gis.net anichols at gis.net
Sun Aug 21 11:12:17 PDT 2011

Thanks Steve for the Regina Carter links.

I'd like to ask the list if they are troubled with the curse of having
a certain expectation from the sound of an instrument, that it takes
from the enjoyment of listening because the expectation isn't met.
I'm a jazz fiddler of sorts and totally cursed by the Stephane Grappelli
sound in my head.

I've written Steve before about Jonathan Russell who I think leaves
much to be desired (I should listen again because he's growing),
Regina Carter leaves less to be desired but I'm in heaven listening
to Ben Powell, and Florin Nicelescu comes close. Ben has that attack
and such flawless intonation, Jonathan's problem,  that I'd defy anyone
to differentiate him from Stephane Grappelli when he's playing our kind
of music.

For all other instrumentation I have a very wide tolerance and pretty
much enjoy it all. I'd be very interested in others point of view.