[Dixielandjazz] Dead man blues

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 04:59:47 PDT 2011

Hi Bill & listmates,

I've kept a low profile on this one but I now rise to the challenge:-

1. I go along the re-interpretation view and also with the "Hokum". It's
such a personal thing but I'd rather that Wynton and his cohorts play the
music of our grandfathers and fathers (sorry Ginny - grandparents and
parents!) with their own spin than let it be forgotten. Like the Curate's
egg there are some good bits and some awful parts (to my ears). I have no
doubt that Wynton is fully aware of George Mitchell and his part in the Red
Hot Peppers' interpretation of Sep 21 1926. Whether or not the reed section
had heard the original is, to my view, mainly irrelevant as they were
reading their parts.  The original reed section on the Jelly is wonderful,
but times move on.

2. As you rightly point out Jelly only used one trumpet but if Wynton wants
to use two - that's his perogative. His band , his game! And, in fairness
his repertory company do perform their take on the wonderful King Oliver
Creole band of 1923 which cries out for the two horn lead.

3. There are more than enough "clone" bands out there (not always of the
highest calibre). Why criticise Wynton and first rate musicians for putting
a new take on the classics. I seem to be falling into the Steve Barbone camp
here, but although we disagree on some things we agree on others. The music
is all.

The music that we attempt to perform is itself an imperfect art form and if,
sometimes we get it right, then it's a bonus.

Here endeth the lesson...I'm running for cover once more.

best wishes

Louis

PS. I'm not sold on the washboard either!