[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah Day - playing for young audience

Jim Ivy Jim at JimIvy.com
Thu Aug 18 01:06:31 PDT 2011

Tito,
I believe that you are correct that the book store programs will be more
effective than the school concerts.  Both are good, but I believe the book
store concerts will be more effective in attracting youngsters to the
music.

It is difficult for me to explain why I think this, but it has to do with
the social aspect of the environment.  The book store is more of a "real
world" place than the school concert.

As musicians, we value music in and of itself.  But I am not certain that
this is true for most non-musicians.  I strongly suspect that for many, if
not the majority of people, music is simply the soundtrack that
accompanies primarily social events.

The book store is more of a social environment.  People are there because
they want to be there not because the school thinks they should be there.
Young people that experience a musical genre in a social environment are
more open to appreciating that genre.

So, if the goal is to develop a younger audience for classic jazz, then
look for opportunities to present the music in a social environment that
appeals to the age group.  Book stores, skating rinks, ice cream
parlors..., where ever the youngsters go to feel more adult!

One more point.  the closer the age of the performers to the age of the
audience, the more open the audience is to the music.  This is especially
true for adolescents. So, if you schedule a performance at a local school,
do some advance work and get a few of the students involved in the
performance.  It is easy enough to teach even young musicians a tune like
"Joe Avery" or "Saints".  Get them on stage with you.

Jim

Jim Ivy
512-341-9103
Jim at JimIvy.com