[Dixielandjazz] Basie Live at Birdland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 11:35:05 PDT 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Steve Voce wrote:

> Nice to see the diminutive Pee Wee Marquette on the clip. He used to
> introduce the
> artists at Birdland and conned money out of them in return for getting
> their names right, etc.
>
> He tried it on Lester Young who began his reply "Listen, half a
> mother-f...'
>
> When Oscar Pettiford refused him any money, they had a row and Pee
> Wee threatened him 'I'm gonna bring my pistol in,'. 'Bring your pistol
> in, then,' said Oscar.
>
> Pee Wee did and Oscar snatched it from him and pistol whipped him.
>

> On 08/08/2011 14:58, Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>> This one just posted on you tube. Basie live at Birdland in 1959.
>> Comments by Steve Allen and a quick view of Pee Wee Marquette.
>>
>> Wish I'd been there that night, however I did see that band at
>> Birdland during 1959 and other Basie bands there every year from
>> 1956 to 1963.

Dear Steve:

Love it.

I think I posted this years ago on the DJML.

I was there one night digging Dizzy Gillespie's big band and of course
Pee Wee introduced them for the first set. Then before the band got
set up for the second set, Dizzy came out from the backstage door at
the rear of the bandstand shuffling along on his knees over to the
mike. He lowered it, and then said in a falsetto voice mimicking Pee
Wee. " And know Birdland is proud to present the great Dizzy Gillespie
and his midget band."

Marquette rushed out on the stand, all upset, grabbed the mike away
from Dizzy and chewed him out for making fun of him. Dizzy cracked up,
the band came out in hysterics, some on their knees and the whole
place broke up into laughter.

I think it might have been payback time for Diz who, like Pres and
Pettiford, refused to bribe Pee Wee for a special introduction.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband