[Dixielandjazz] Basie Live at Birdland

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Mon Aug 8 07:09:51 PDT 2011

Nice to see the diminutive Pee Wee Marquette on the clip. He used to introduce the
artists at Birdland and conned money out of them in return for getting
their names right, etc.

He tried it on Lester Young who began his reply "Listen, half a mother-f...'

When Oscar Pettiford refused him any money, they had a row and Pee
Wee threatened him 'I'm gonna bring my pistol in,'. 'Bring your pistol
in, then,' said Oscar.

Pee Wee did and Oscar snatched it from him and pistol whipped him.

Steve Voce