[Dixielandjazz] Joe Muranyi

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Aug 2 06:11:37 PDT 2011

Joe Muranyi is of Hungarian decent. Since he has been adopted by
Hungarian jazzers (rightly so), Joe has had the opportunity to play
there on countless occasions. So, he learned the language.

We had Joe here in Mont Dore with Jimmy Mazzy and Eli Newberger back in
1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-r3O-r-iUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwjkOVNUiqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_TtjV0FwdY

Not only is Joe a fine player, he is a world class gentleman.  After his
stay with us, he arranged an invitation for Sac à Pulses to play
Szeged.  We had a blast.  I recommend the carp soup.

All the best, Gary

On 02/08/2011 14:23, Marek Boym wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just watched a videocassette of Joe Muranyi with a Hungarian
> band.  Muranyi made the announcements - in Hungarian!  Perhaps the
> Hungarian can hear a foreign accent in his Hungarian, but to me he
> sounded so Hungarian that I had tp check his birth place!
> Music was very good.  It seems that Hungary is quite a jazz country.
> While its best known band is the BEnko Dixieland Band, there are quite
> a few more, Tamas' excellent group among them.  I have a very good LP
> by someone whose surname is Molnar (can;t recall the first name, and
> haven't right now the time to look it up).
> Cheers

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand