[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 100, Issue 29

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 20 06:22:54 PDT 2011

> "Larry Walton Entertainment" <larrys.bands at charter.net> wrote
> (polite snip)
>

> I do know a couple of leaders including myself who reach into the
> kitty when
> a gig is light, to pay that person that might not have a gig or to
> keep him
> interested or whatever.  Obviously no one can continue that for very
> long.

That's an interesting rationale Larry. I sometimes do the same with
leader fee money I've accumulated in a kitty, when gig money for a
particular job may be light, or I wish to donate the band for a
specific charity.

I never ask my sidemen to donate, but always pay them for gigs that I
might donate. I keep the fact that I paid for the band a secret from
them, because I do not want to put them on the spot about donating.
Most of them are "working" musicians who make their living from
performing and I believe it is unfair to ask them to donate.

Normally we get about 10-15 requests a year to donate the band. I
donate to one or two favorite charities, telling the others that "the
sidemen make their living in performing and I will not ask them to
donate, However I will be pleased to donate my personal services and
the sound system."  What I donate if they accept, is the leader fee
portion of my gig pay and the sound system portion. I then play for
sideman money along with the band if the charity accepts my offer.
They accept about 50% of the time.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband