[Dixielandjazz] Sacking

David Washburn tootn4u at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:10:02 PDT 2011

Interesting thread.   I did away with trumpet in in my group. 1)
Budgets are obviously getting tougher to deal with and 2) I have not
had very many trumpet players who would soften the blow enough to work
in a smaller setting like a restaurant or club. Before the tpt players
attack, I know there are great brass players out there. I just want to
find one that is not quite so loud. Connie Jones in New Orleans comes
to mind. He has great control to play with finesse or belt it out,
whichever is appropriate. It is easy to play with him.     In our
group I take the lead on clarinet & sometimes alto sax or the trombone
takes over and I'll switch to a harmony line. Bottom line, it works
for us.
Thanks,
Dave in Dallas