[Dixielandjazz] Sacking

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 19 16:13:36 PDT 2011

> Nobody would ever ask you to sack yourself.

Dear Louis,
Listmate Jack Mitchell has the full story, but back in 1947 trombonist Jack Parkes, who formed the Sydney-based Port Jackson Jazz Band, was  asked to leave because he was, allegedly, not keeping up with the group musically.

> I've yet to find all those jazz instrumentalists that CAN sing. The majority THINK they can!!!

I've been saying that for years Louis!
When we have 'em, I only use girl singers.
Which is why Judy Eames and I get on so well.
"Hello Jude."
It a band member wants to sing, so be it. But never as the featured vocalist.
Fortunately, the longtime current band are all instrumentalists*, so our Majella has no opposition.
Horses for courses, as we Aussies say.
*>)
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: *However, during the last ten years, Jack Wiard has 'sung' "Yama Yama Man" several times.