[Dixielandjazz] Vale John Gill (Ragtime pianist)

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 17 16:41:55 PDT 2011

I heard about this terrible news yesterday, Bill.
John and I go back to the beginning of our careers. We used to play the
London Working Men's Clubs and British Legion Clubs and some pretty
dodgy east end pubs in the mid '70s.
We used to work as a duo. I was impressed by John's superb technique,
although often (like many pianists used to working solo) He could race
ahead of the beat.
In 1977 we made our first recordings with my Dixie Seven. I remember
John insisted on playing his three solos first, after which he got stuck
in to a bottle of scotch.
We played in Guernsey for several months during '77 and countless other
gig until he departed for Oz in 1983.
He came back to blighty in 2007 and he stayed with us for a couple of
days and we played at Harlow,which I filmed and recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnpetters#p/u/72/0I3LhG32Lr0
A real eccentric, great fun to be with and I like to think a long term
friend.
RIP John

John Petters

--