[Dixielandjazz] Vale John Gill (Ragtime pianist)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 17 14:16:17 PDT 2011

Dear Friends,
I have just received he following sad news from Gretel James in Melbourne:

> It is with deep regret that I have to pass on the news of the sudden and unexpected passing of John Gill, Ragtime pianist from Perth.  John was 57 when he had a massive coronorary last Friday (15th).  He was well-known all over Australia for his amazing talent and was a favourite at the American Ragtime Festivals.
> He was preparing for yet another trip to U.S.A.   He played in Melbourne at Montalvat, the VJC, Diana Allen and various other gigs.  He will be sadly missed.

John was born in Lancashire, England in January 1954. His early interest in ragtime was influenced by Kenny Ball's pianist, Ron Weatherburn and expanded into stride through his friendship with Keith Nichols. He moved to Perth, Australia in 1983 where he joined the Corner House Jazz Band.
It was shortly after this that I first heard and met John at an Australian Jazz Convention.
He will be missed by his many Australian and international friends.
Kind regards,
Bill.