[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey (Steve Voce)

Tom Coleman optiguytom at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 19:03:55 PDT 2011

For more first hand accounts of what it was like "back in the Big Band days"
traveling with TD and others, I highly recommend "Don't Bury Me in a Tuxedo:
Memoirs of a Trumpet Player" by Daryl "Flea" Campbell. Flea was a lead trumpet
player with both Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Les Brown and many
others. It's a great inside look at the big band era  and loads of name
dropping, which really makes it fun. Flea is no great writer, but I found it
hard to put the book down as each chapter was interesting and made me long for
the days, most of it before my birth. Plenty of "Tommy" tales! Flea was married
to the last of the great girl singers, Lynn Roberts (highly underrated
songbird!)(still singing and sounding great too!).

 Tom Coleman
www.optiguytom.com