[Dixielandjazz] IN THE WORDS OF WALLACE WHIMPLE

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Sun Apr 17 07:30:10 PDT 2011

On WAMU, Saturday night is for Hot Jazz Saturday Night, and Sunday night
is for the Big Broadcast.  On the Big Broadcast, they have Yours Truly
Johnny Dollar, Dragnet, several others, and sometimes Fibber McGee and
Molly.  You don't need to have heard these shows on the radio back then to
know about people like Mr. Whimple.

I once did a Toastmasters speech in which I imitated my recollection of
Digby O'Dell, the "friendly undertaker" on the Life of Riley.  A few
months later, the Big Broadcast had a Life of Riley show and I confirmed I
had his "undertakers, embalmers, and pall bearers" shtick down pat even
after all those years.

Stan Klein