[Dixielandjazz] Wild Performance of Working Man Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 6 16:36:16 PDT 2011

Harry Callaghan wrote (in part):
> I'd been trying to figure out what recording I had of "DH" since John Gill
> made mention of it, first thinking it was on an OKOM label.......

Dear Harry,
You may have the Coon-Sanders' version of "Deep Henderson" (Fred Rose) from 9 March 1926 in your collection. It was the first one.
Other contemporary versions were made (in order) by King Oliver, Julie Wintz, Original Indiana Five, The Buffalodians, Charlie Straight, Sam Lanin, Joe Candullo and Charlie Skeete up to June 1926.
Some of which sound as though they came from the same basic stock arrangement.
There is even a great Columbia LP piano solo version by Ralph Sutton (6 July 1950).
One by the Lawson-Haggart Jazz Band 'King Oliver's Jazz' and one by Bob Scobey.
I have details of quite a few more, including the Stomp Off CD by John Gill.
Very kind regards,
Bill.