[Dixielandjazz] Jazz anthology

Glen Page gpage at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 2 23:13:39 PDT 2011

After seeing all the posts re. two issued sets of jazz anthologies I
recalled that I had a briefer one that may appeal to newcomers to the DJML
list. "The History Of Classic Jazz" was put out by Riverside records many
years ago, I believe that I purchased the five LP box in 1960 or 1961 at the
latest.

The "chapter" headings are as follows and each comprise o one side of a 12"
LP..Backgrounds/ Ragtime/ The Blues/
New Orleans Style/ Boogie Woogie/ South Side Chicago/ Chicago Style/ Harlem/
New York Style/ New Orleans Revival.

Whether or not this has been issued on CD is beyond me but I bet somebody
from Down Under would know. Obviously ten sides cannot cover the given
titles in any great depth but I think that there would be little questioning
the selections given if one accepts the contents of the first side which
includes some African music , street cries and a pre 1920 brass band "very
much in the brass band tradition". I just noticed that the date of
publication was  1956, the most recent recording was Lu Watters from 1947. A
very nice informative booklet accompanies the set and the whole box would be
a good introduction to OKOM.

Hopefully this is available in some format as it would make a nice
acquisition for somebody exploring the scope of OKOM without having to
listen other extraneous  forms of music.

Cheers

Glen Page.