[Dixielandjazz] tuba/bass

Joe Hopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Mon Sep 27 17:07:37 PDT 2010

My 52nd Street Jazz Band played a 75 minute show for 500 people last Sunday. We had swing dancers demonstrate the Charleston, Collegiate Shag, Balboa and the Lindy Hop. Buddy Apfel played that gig with us. I told him to bring both his bass and his tuba. I left it up to him which one to play on any given tune. He did a great job for us and yes he played fours with himself ... the crowd loved it.

We are lucky in that we have both Buddy Apfel and Chuck Stewart here in the Phoenix area...they are both excellent tuba players. I normally use Danny Shannon on bass guitar in my band but occasionally will use tuba. Both work well when you have good players. No matter whether you are playing swing or trad. I only use banjo when it is a strolling gig. I use guitar when we book a seven piece group.

If you haven't ordered Gary Church's autobiography you need to order right away...they are going fast. It is a great read. Order from Gary at GLCjazz at aol.com.
By the way, Gary plans to do a voice recording of his book for Bob Ringwald.......that I want to hear, it will be better than the actual book.

www.Joehopkins.org